Fresh spinach, fresh mozzarella, and
fresh waitresses 32 kinds of craft beer!
Here at the Milkweed Mercantile at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage, we're getting semi-famous for our pizza, served every Thursday (except Thanksgiving and Christmas Day) from 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. We serve homemade thin-crust Neopolitan-style pizza. The mozzarella and feta cheese are made here at Dancing Rabbit from local organic milk. We offer a variety of toppings, which double in the summer during gardening season. We think our pizza is pretty darned good, and so do our customers. Quantities are limited so reservations are highly recommended (660-883-5522).
I was told when I arrived to the ecovillage that I should try pizza night at the Milkweed Mercantile, that it was better than NYC pizza (my home town) and I didn't believe it. I finally experienced it and it is seriously amazing pizza. I don't think I can find crust light this- thin and flaky. The toppings were also done to perfect proportion. This will go down as one of my top 5 lifetime pizza experiences.
To celebrate our joy of pizza we're having a contest.
The winners get....(drum roll please)...PIZZA!
1. Create a pizza from the toppings listed below, and give the pizza a name.
2. Prize: a gift certificate for one Milkweed Mercantile pizza AND your pizza creation will go on our menu. You will become famous for being a creative genius and most likely your life will change immensely. You will get lots of "likes" on Facebook, and your name will become a household word, synonymous with "good taste," "elegance," and "anchovies."
One of the judges demonstrating her pizza tasting technique.
3. You may enter as many pizzas as you wish.
4. The object is to create a DELICIOUS pizza with a clever name.
5. Points will be awarded as follows:
Each judge* will evaluate pizzas independently, and all evaluations will be combined for a total score.
Each judge may award up to 25 points.
25 points = perfection.
- Up to 5 points awarded for flavor combination
- Up to 5 points awarded for cleverness of the name
- Up to 5 points awarded for how name fits the toppings
- Up to 5 points awarded if we actually want to eat the pizza
- Up to 5 points awarded at judges' discretion as bonus points
1. To submit entries: leave a comment below OR leave a comment on the accompanying Facebook post.
2. Deadline: All entries must be submitted by midnight on Monday, March 3, 2014.
3. Winners will be announced Friday, March 7, 2014
4. We are not responsible for any lost entries. Blame Bill Gates.
5. Number of winners: Judges may award as many winning combinations as they wish. We're keeping our fingers crossed for lots of great entries!
6. Have fun!
All pizzas come with our own special tomato sauce (organic crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt)
La Quercia Prosciutto
Dan’s Feta Cheese
Egg, local, cage-free
Ranch Dipping Sauce (made here at the Mercantile)
Smoked Jalapenos from Blue Heron Orchards
Pickled Jalepenos from Mrs. Milkweed’s Kitchen
Red and Green Bell Peppers (from local farms when in season)
Raw Red Onions
Caramelized Yellow Onions
Morel Mushrooms (in season)
Shitake Mushrooms (in season)
Corn, Organic non-GMO
Spinach, fresh (from local farms when in season)
Garlic Slices, fresh (from local farms when in season)
Fresh Basil (in season)
Pesto (in season)
Alline, Top Banana, Milkweed Mercantile
Kurt, The Guy Who Does Everything Else, Milkweed Mercantile
Nik, Minister of Pies, Milkweed Mercantile
Katherine, Vice President, Pizza Division
Mae, Vice President, Dessert Quality Assurance
Ready, set, GO! You have until midnight on March 3rd!