Monday, November 11, 2013

Poetry Monday, The Wind Map and an assortment of Pre-Rafaelites

Hi friends,
It is a gray, cloudy, blustery day - it is fantastic! I am sitting in our snug and cozy strawbale house, looking out through the glass doors that lead onto our small balcony. The walls are 18" thick, so I can't feel the wind, but the trees outside are lashing about, the wind is howling (or maybe that's the wind turbine howling), and acorns are dropping onto the roof and pop-pop-popping down the slope.
I easily found a poem. But how to illustrate the wind? 
And then I remembered - The Wind Map (click on those words). It is truly the COOLEST thing EVER
 
The map is live, so depending upon when you look at it you may or may not see the windy day we're having (we're right in the middle between Denver and Chicago), but you can see what's happening where you live. Check it out!


Wind Map by artists Fernanda ViƩgas and Martin Wattenberg.


Here is today's poem, by Christina Rosetti, who was vaguely associated with the Pre-Rafaelite Brotherhood.**  

Who Has Seen the Wind
by Christina Rosetti
Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.



** Christina Rosetti posed for some of her brother's (Dante Gabriel Rosetti) paintings but as they're not my favorite PRB paintings they're not going here. I much prefer John Everett Millais and John William Waterhouse. We were able to see (i.e. drool over) a whole slew of PRB paintings at the Tate when we were in London a few years ago. Kurt developed a huge crush on Jane Morris, who posed for Rosetti...I fell in love with William Morris. 

 Ophelia by Millais

Lady of Shalott by Waterhouse


OK. I really just meant to spend a few moments here waxing rhapsodic about the wind. Ha! Have a great day!

love,
Alline


For more widgets please visit www.yourminis.com